Monday, October 28, 2013

Halloween Celebrations Around the World

What is your favorite Halloween story?

When I was about 10 years old, I was delegated with the job of taking my younger brothers trick or treating. We did not live in a "neighborhood" and had to walk a couple of miles to find the 10 - 15 houses we would invade. Our neighbors waited for us, baking us brownies, cupcakes and candied apples. We would stop in several of these homes, sit at their kitchen table and tell them about our past year. When we said "Trick or Treat" and were met with Trick my brother, Jay would stand on his head.  Unfortunately today, you would never allow your children to walk  that distance to other homes, sit in people's kitchen that you only see that day and behave in such a "free" way.

This particular Halloween, we decided to walk back through the graveyard near our home and properly scare ourselves. While walking home, heading up our very long driveway we heard something behind us. We turned around to find 2 ghosts screaming and running at us. We were terrified! How to get away from them?  Now is the time for me to be the heroic big sister and save my brothers. Instead, I ran OVER them to get into the house. My mother and sister were draped in sheets and had been waiting for us to return. They stopped, took off their ghostly coverings and laughed hysterically. I realized I may not be hero material when encountering the supernatural. Perhaps that is why I had younger brothers - let them be eaten first!

Here are some Halloween customs around the world:

Ireland - the birthplace of Halloween. Fortunetelling, bonfires, traditional food and beer is enjoyed.
Mexico - November 1st, Day of the Dead, altars are built and gifts of food, beverages are placed there.
Germany - some people hide their knives from evil spirits.
Great Britain - celebrations include fireworks and partying in costumes for a week!
Austria - people leave bread, water and a light on their table at night to welcome dead souls.
China - Festival of Hungry Ghosts is a celebration where angry spirits are offered food and gifts to pacify them.


My brothers Doug and Steven.

Happy Halloween - wishing you a memorable night!

Linda Richardson
President
All Clear Translations

No comments :

Post a Comment

Hey leave me a comment.