Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Translating Tipping to International Guests

Last week I was attending PittCon in Philadelphia. I was enjoying breakfast at the Reading Market with a colleague at a small Amish counter for breakfast. Sitting beside us was a couple from Israel. They were discussing the bill and asked me whether "people like this" should be tipped.

Understandably, they do not know many of our customs in the U.S. Many regions in the world do not tip but add the wage in the bill. I explained that we customarily tip our wait staff and the appropriate tip is 15-20%.

 My Mistake:
The couple left the waitress $1 for her gratuity.  My mistake was not explaining to the couple why we tip and how essential it is for many service workers. Tipping enables you to show your appreciation for their service in a monetary way. In my past, I waitressed and I have 2 daughters that are working their way through school as waitresses. Much like a commissioned salesperson, wait staff are rewarded monetarily for upselling and offering excellent service.

My Correction:
I felt badly and left the waitress a 40% tip to compensate for the low gratuity left by the Israeli couple. As a translations expert, I realized I did not communicate the full value of gratuities and should have been more informative.

Don't let your message be truncated or lost in translation. Be sure the value of your product, brand, and service are being translated by professional experts. Your website and software translations are key to reaching new customers and helping current clients utilize the full value of your amazing expertise!

Hoping you are Growing Globally with Translations!

Linda Richardson

No comments :

Post a Comment

Hey leave me a comment.